Thursday, June 17, 2010

Flagstaff, AZ....Who Knew?





Top Three Things about Flagstaff, AZ:
3. The Weather - ?? Wait, Arizona being livable? Yes, it's true. At least the day that we were in Flagstaff, it was a breezy 76 degrees instead of the blazing 96 degrees it had been near the Grand Canyon the day before.

2. Good Food! We heard word that Diablo Burger was the place to be. Thank god we did! It's a tiny little nook of a restaurant tucked behind this huge mural (see number 1 for more). We sat in the wrong place, on the wrong patio, didn't understand the whole process of the place (you are supposed to order at a counter and pick it up at a counter but we resisted and sat on a patio and forced table service) Yet, despite all of our slip-ups, our 'server' was the friendliest guy who served us a beautiful salad with homemade vinaigrette and a juicy burger on an ENGLISH MUFFIN. So fun. He also gave me a book about the mural (see number 1) and let me keep it! Best thing ever.

1. The ART! I was completely floored by the amount of mural work all around the downtown Flagstaff area. It's just out-of-nowhere and GOOD. Really good. The piece I keep talking about that is located near Diablo Burger is a mural by Joe Sorren titled "The Veridic Gardens of Effie Leroux" I love this mural! I took so many pictures ( 3 posted above) of it and like I said, I now have a book all about the fictitious life of Effie Leroux - she designed these gardens supposedly all around the world. :) The characters are a little eerie, dark, creepy - oh, I just love it! How about the little bear boy with the red suit on?!

1 comment:

  1. I am so hungry and that english muffin cheese burger looks de-lish! I love the red suited bear boy!

    ReplyDelete